How to Perforate Paper at Home-Check Our Different Solution
There are two functionalities related to the term ‘perforated paper.’ One being more functional and the other is used mainly for decorative purposes. In this article, we will discuss about some ways to make perforated paper at home.
So, let’s get our feet wet in it.
Different Method Of Perforate Paper at Home
These are small holes that are perforated either using a tool or improvised techniques to make it easier to tear off the pages.
This kind of functionality will usually cost you more at any bookshop while you can easily make the same at home using readily available materials.
There are two types of perforations in this context:
Here are some simple ways to perforate paper to make it easier to tear. These may be pages of a notebook or a single page.
Using Simple Sewing Pins
You will need the following:
Make sure to use a cutting mat to avoid damaging the surfaces during the perforating process and also to allow the cutting tool to go right through the areas to be perforated.
Put the paper on a cutting mat and lay the ruler over the area you would like to perforate.
Take the sewing pins and pierce through the paper at continuous intervals of 1/16th of an inch or less.
Stick to the edge of the ruler to keep the perforations on a straight line.
Use A Perforation Tool
To punch holes using this tool you will need:
Use the pencil and ruler to draw a straight line and run the perforation tool along the line. Make sure you stick to the straight line.
A tracing wheel could also be used for the same function.
Use A Sewing Machine
You will need:
Draw the line along which you want to make the perforations.
Disable the stitching functions of the sewing machine by removing the bobbin and spool.
The setting should be light on the foot pressure and then move the feed dogs closer to the foot pressure.
Place the paper between the dog feed and the foot pressure and ‘stitch’ along the drawn line.
The functions of such perforations can be found on tickets, business cards and certificates among others.
To make curved perforations use a curved or semi-curved object such as a plastic lid to a container. You could also draw the curves lines along which to cut using a compass and pencil.
This refers to the aesthetic use of perforated paper to make different decorative designs which are either strictly serve to decorate or can also be functional.
These designs are made on a special kind of paper called perforated paper.
This is a light cardboard like material that resembles embroidery canvas in appearance or design. It is perforated all through at calculated intervals which may vary according to the function of the paper.
The artwork here uses embroidery to create either borders or motif to create a decorative design. The cross stitch sewing technique is the most commonly used for this purpose. This is a common stitch used in embroidery.
Many ornaments are made using this craft. You may have come across some of them; wall hangings and so on.
Before we get to how it’s done let us take a look at some of the advantages of using perforated paper:
Variety of Functions
The punched paper can be used to make so many things you cannot even start to count. It can make items that are functional as well as aesthetic. You only need to be creative, and the designs won’t stop coming.
Related Item: Chose Perfect Binding Machine From Our List
You will be able to make very personal items for specific people or functions. You create the design and make the item yourself; it is very easy then to make something very specific.
You can make necessary adjustments as you go along if you get more creative as opposed to ordering something whose design you will not be able to change once you make your order.
It Is Cheap
This is probably one of the cheapest of crafts as its requirements are generally affordable to almost anyone. It’s the skill that is expensive here; the more you are creative, the more boundaries you will break.
Easy To Learn
Just like it is cheap so is it easy to master. It does not require any hard to use equipment nor is the one or two tools used on it hard to master.
How It’s Done
You will need:
1. Lay your punched paper on a flat surface. Feel the paper first for the rough and smooth sides. The smooth side should face up and the rough side the reverse. You will start working your stitches from the rough side once you finish prepping the perforated paper.
2. Draw a frame using the marker pen within which you will work to make sure your pattern sits in proportionately; the frame could become part of the design or be removed after the project is complete.
3. Draw the design, fonts or both that will make up the design. You can make your design on a computer using any computer graphics program and even give it dimensions so that you have a clear picture of what your end product should look like. Of course, there it will not highlight the stitching but can include shape, dimensions, and color.
4. Draw any other boundaries that may be involved in your project and label each. For example, areas with different colors or fonts to be made. Make sure you let the punched paper sit for a while after that to let the marker ink dry completely.
Any degree of moisture weakens the perforated paper and may lead to it cutting along the marked areas if not dry. You may even draw a grid to help you make precise measurements of the different dimensions within your design.
5. Thread the needle and start making your pattern by making your first cross stitch and working your way to fill your design. The size of the cross stitch should be proportionate to the size of your design; smaller stitches highlight the features of your pattern better than bigger ones.
6. Once done with your pattern, you may cut off unused parts of the perforating paper to remain with the shape that you designed. However, some designs cover the whole workspace and there’s nothing wrong with that.
The cross stitch is the most common stitch used to make designs on perforated paper but other stitches have been used since the art was initiated. Other stitches that are used on a punched paper include chain, basket, double chain, leaf and herringbone among many others.
There are thousands of patterns that you can come up with. It is only limited to your creativity. If you are not the creative type, you can get a book with perforated paper patterns or find thousands of designs on the internet.
The punched paper can be cut in all shapes and sizes and can even be used to make three-dimensional designs by making individual pieces which you will put together to form your multi-dimensional item.
You may choose to cover the back of your perforated paper using an assortment of materials which you can either stitch or bind together using adhesive tape. Such materials include cardboard, canvas, plywood, fabric, and leather among others.
The perforated paper can be used to make all sorts of accessories and decorative items; it has been since the early 19th Century when the first perforated paper came into use and immediately put to use. These include items such as bookmarks, fans, wall hangings, and table mats among others.
It is easy to learn, affordable and a fun pastime. The materials and tools are also easily available. So, get your perforated paper today and join in on the fun.
Here is a video of a Rotary Perforating Machine RPM 350 Plus: