How to Make a Mesh Wreath? Step by Step Guide for Beginners
A decorative wreath makes a wonderful gift or accessory whether in the house or in the office. They are also very appropriate for various events.
There is a whole variety available in various retail outlets to choose from. However, did you know that it is quite an easy craft and that you could make your own wreaths in a few simple steps?
The materials are easily available and the craft is quite easy to learn. With your own skill, you will be able to make items with your own personal taste in them.
Now, deco mesh is a unique kind of synthetic material that closely resembles actual wire mesh. Its design has given it very unique flexibility properties that are pronounced in the kind of decorative items it is used to make.
Watch this video to learn Geo Mesh Wreath Making
How To Make One?
We will start with a very simple wreath made of improvised materials at home. For this you will need the following tools and materials:
- 1Undo the hangers and mold them into roughly round shapes; it would help if you had something to wrap them around.
- 2Use your wire pliers to cut the copper wire into lengths of fifteen centimetres.
- 3Use the copper wire to hold the two pieces of wire that you have from the hangers.
Do this first by holding the circles together where the wire meets. Let it overlap a bit then fasten it with the copper wire.
Next, use the copper wire to hold the hangers 10cm apart by looping it several times to each end of the hanger at equal intervals around.
You will end up with a ‘frame’ like structure. It may look wobbly for now but the other materials will hold it firmly in the end.
- 4Wrap the frame with ribbon to hide the same.
- 5Get your ribbons and tie bows across the frame at intervals equal to the number of copper joints holding the frame together.
- 6Make the bows lose so that the décor mesh can pass through them easily.
- 7Get hold of one end of the decor mesh and slip it through the loops made by the ribbon.
You could use more than one colour of mesh. You’d have to make the loops a little bigger though.
- 8Once done, all the loops will pull slightly to make semi-circular shapes protruding outwards.
- 9Cut off any remaining mesh to use for future projects
- 10You can add any other decoration creatively that will go with the theme and colours used on the wreath.
That is a simple example of how to make a mesh wreath. There are numerous more complicated designs some of which accommodate multiple layers of wreath mesh and other accessories that may be used to make it.
Let’s make a more sophisticated mesh wreath.
For this one you will need:
- 1Coil one of the ribbons around the wreath form.
- 2Get your deco mesh out and coil it likewise around the wreath form. It is translucent, so the ribbon is partially visible creating an effect. The color of the two should be the same in different shades or colors that blend well together.
- 3Cut the other ribbon to make small strips and tie bows around the wreath form at regular intervals. Keep the theme and color scheme.
- 4You can add accessories as you please. Common accessories include small bells and miniature dolls.
This is also not a very complicated item to make.
Here’s a third example and for this one, you will need:
- 1Coil the pipe cleaners around the wreath in equal spacing.
- 2Lay the deco mesh around the wreath and use the pipe cleaners to secure the ribbon.
- 3Do this on the inner circle of the wreath. Many wreaths you will get from the store will have more than one ring.
- 4Pull some ribbon between each pipe cleaner to form a bow like shape.
- 5Once you are done with the inner ring, move to the second ring and do the same. Remember to pull ribbon in between the pipe cleaners to form bows. You will now see your décor starting to take shape.
- 6Once done turn the wreath form around and pull the pipe cleaners to face downwards so that they are not visible on the side to be presented.
- 7Add any suitable accessories that you think will complement the colours and theme of the décor.
Some of the common themes are:
There are certain colours associated with certain themes, for example, red and green are associated with Christmas, Black with Halloween, white with winter and so on.
It is important to fully observe theme colours if the wreath is meant for such an occasion. It needs to fit in.
However, you may just want a decorative wreath mesh for general purposes. You need to be even more careful because you could easily lose track. There is a much bigger range of colors and styles to choose from.
You could easily pick conflicting colors. Pick either different shades of the same color or colors that complement themselves.
Some of the reasons people choose to use this decoration are:
- 1It is cheap to make
- 2It is very long lasting
- 3There is a big variety of designs that you could choose from
- 4The materials are easily available at the local store, online or can be easily improvised at home for just as good results.
The ‘bulkiness’ of the mesh hides any signs of poor workmanship. It also pulls attention to itself drawing away attention to any fault.
- 5The décor is suitable for all sorts of occasions or just for normal home decoration
- 6The décor can be dismantled and redesigned using the same colors or combining with others
- 7It is fairly weather resistant and can be used for outside décor because it will not fade or wear out soon. It will serve its purpose before it is worn out which is normally a few days or weeks for this case.
The mesh wreath is used in several settings whether official or otherwise. Some places you are likely to find this decorative item include:
They are also used for this purpose during public holidays such as Independence Day.
You will find these common decorations wherever you go and on whatever occasion. They are bought readymade form the shop or online in all sorts of colours and designs.
You can, however, make the same at home for much less. Get started!